View Single Post
Old 15-08-14, 03:00 PM   #73
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

<Bloody Lusers>

I am trying to help out one of our site managers who has a user on a secure VPN that is having difficulty accessing a particular group of servers on the corporate network.

Because he is on the remote secure network dedicated to MOD work, I am unable to remotely connect to his workstation. I have sent the user a list of commands I wish him to type at a shell prompt (Including examples of what the expected response should be). As the manager responsible has gone on holiday he kindly dumped this call on my stack (I ever knew I had one) and I am getting grief for a lack of progress from someone I have never heard of, who doesn't know what I do. Simply because an incident I was asked advise on has gone out of SLA, and there is a red light gone on somewhere

So I contacted the user to get the results of the tests. He has not done it as he thinks someone from IT should do it. OK, I am 150 miles away, I do not have the security clearance to enter the building, never mind access his workstation. He says it does not work. But will not say what is not working, under what circumstances etc.

Sod it, it can wait for the local site manager to come back, as obviously not an urgent requirement if the user will not put 5 minutes effort into giving me a clue.

</Bloody Lusers>