View Single Post
Old 22-06-18, 07:22 AM   #12
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Elderly Personal Care Help

My mother was asked to leave two care homes.

She worked until she was 70 as a nurse. But she went blind and lost her mobility. A fall caused her a 6 week stay in hospital because of a fractured collar bone. 1 week for the fracture and 5 weeks for the hospital acquired infection. Nurses off other wards who knew her, would come to help her. Those on the ward could not be bothered. So once out of hospital she had 3 months convalescence whilst we found her a care home.

Home 1, was local to all. So convenient for for all to visit. But the only available room was on the first floor. No problem we thought, until phoned by the staff. She would not leave her room as she was frightened to use the stair lift as the main lift was out of order. We were not surprised, blind, transferred from wheel chair to stair lift. We then discovered her clothing missing, being given to other residents etc. When we complained we were told take her else where by the end of the week!

So emergency move to another local care home. That was a terrible place. Food very poor, stunk of you know what. But at least she was on the ground floor. But she was disorientated, did not know where she was and would shout all the time for help. Please find somewhere else she is disturbing the others.

So she went to live at my brothers for a year, he had to recruit a carer for 5 days a week whilst we all worked. The joke there was the carer earned more than him, so my mother paid to stay. until we could no longer cope.

Place 3 a few miles away. But purpose built. Individual bathrooms, ground floor, wide doorways for her chair. she lasted there for 18 months, put on a little weight and when she was ill the staff would pop in every 10 mins etc just to check/chat with her.

Letting her home helped with the costs, but care still took about 100 grand over her final years. It left her penniless, yet the council still insisted she had more assets hidden. They tried to view the money paid to a private carer as drip feeding money out of her account.

Last edited by timwilky; 22-06-18 at 09:54 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote