Thread: Bike Security
View Single Post
Old 03-07-10, 05:34 PM   #1
hongman

Default Bike Security

Hiya

Just want to get some opinions on something.

When I get my bike I was/am planning on getting a ground anchor, chain + alarmed disc lock.

The bike will be sitting outside my house on the front lawn. Where I live, its in a cul-de-sac, and a "square" area which all the houses round here face onto.

A while ago someone knocked down the bollard preventing cars from getting up to this bit, and everyone now parks their cars right outside their houses.

Anyway.

Is this enough security?

I was chatting to my neighbour about it and he asked me why I didnt fulff about and stick a double gate in on garden, and leave the bike there.

IMO it'd be safe outside the front than the back becuase 1) other houses look onto it 2) general public wander through - whereas in the garden, noone would see. The noise from any alarm would probably be ignored as well.

No garages nearby free, no shed or anything to keep the bike in.

I said to me neighbour I was confident the noise generated from someone trying to hack through the chain and stop the disc lock going off would be sufficient enough, but was a bit taken back when he said chains are pretty naff security. He reckons he could bolt cutter even the thickest of chains without making much noise. After that its lift bike up, back of a van and off they go.

Now I'm worried

During the night, the bike will be blocked in by my car, no not too worried there.

During the day, if I take the car and leave the bike, missus is generally in more often than not. If she goes out my mother in law lives next door

But for all the times when noone IS in , will that security be enough?

Cant build an enclosure or shed as a) its Council property and b) it;ll be right outside my front room window, not sticking a shed there!

Thoughts, opinions.

Might stick a spotlight above the where the bike will go though.