View Single Post
Old 11-08-17, 03:30 PM   #15
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: SMIDSY (Sorry mate I DID see you) - Insurance advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i may have got my wires crossed as i was under the impression the bike went round the back of the car and not the front. either way i think confusion on both parts.

i'm not saying that its illegal to offer cash i'm saying its wrong. you should never ever try and settle any motor incident by offering cash and a 'gentleman's agreement'. you pay insurance to settle these matters. always swap insurance details or take note of the other persons reg number and if possible get witness details then go to your nearest police station and report it and make sure you get an incident number, even if your in the wrong.
No he dived in front of an emerging car which he'd stopped to allow to emerge!

You're right, sad state of affairs in my book but ho hum. Faith in humanity ... 0!
Got to admit I hate the 'you pay insurance to settle these matters' line, again you're right but I also think we pay far too much insurance because matters can't simply be sorted in this sort of manner. The slightest bump goes to insurance, incurs a processing fee, goes to their mechanics at ridiculous parts and labour costs (unnecessarily written off and sold back to owner too cheap...though I hear they are stopping this) their details are then sold off for someone to encourage them to make up injuries etc. etc. £££

I once dropped something on a girls car at work - £90 had her car picked up & bumper resprayed and she was very happy. A roof tile fell off the roof on someone's corsa causing about the same damage, courtesy car and hundreds of pounds later the guy is still paying increased premiums years later for something that wasn't even his fault. So empathise completely with my dad for wanting to believe the guy could be a decent adult about it.