View Single Post
Old 22-07-21, 10:32 PM   #280
Ruffy

Default Re: The Covid19 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i would hazard a guess that pretty much everyone has had covid by now. its just that the vast majority of people dont get any symptoms or if they do its minor and just shrug it off just like the flu/cold and other bugs that we live with every single day.
Could very well be close to the truth. I wonder what effect that would have on the risk figures (if we assumed, say, 80% of the population were +ve cases rather than just the confirmed ones)? I suspect it would re-frame the debate quite a bit.

Tbh, I do struggle a bit with the "1 in 3 could be asymptomatic carriers" claim - it seems a very high proportion to me if the virus is truly so nasty. It's likely to kill you or it's likely not to have any noticeable effect at all - that's a very weird distribution for range of symptoms. No denying it could be very nasty for some but is there still a whiff of convenient excuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
if you go out in public you come in contact with every known common bug, you can't avoid it as they are on everything.
I have heard of reports that some younger children have been coming down with other bugs at unusually high rates. This has been explained by lockdown having prevented them from much of the general activity that would alow them to generate natural immunity through day-to-day exposure to the minor stuff etc. - their immune systems haven't developed as fast as previous 'normal'. (I cant find a source so there's a chance this is an urban myth but IMHO it's not as wild as some covid/lockdown hypotheses.)
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote