View Single Post
Old 26-05-13, 09:57 PM   #6
grimey121uk

Default Re: Shooting & stuff

I have both a FAC and A SGC, at the moment I use my shotgun for clays and my rifle for bunnies. Its a right for people to have a shotgun (assuming your police checks come back OK and you can store them securely) where as anything on a FAC must be justified. I got my FAC at the end of last year which gives me permission to acquire a 22LR and a 17HMR, both with restrictions on the amount of ammo I can acquire and keep. The gun I wanted was a 17HMR however the FEO wasn't to keen, preferring me to get a 22LR instead but I stuck to my guns and managed to justify the HMR due the the land I shoot on requiring me to take longer range shots plus ricochets can be a big problem on the slower/heavier 22LR rounds.

Depending what you want to do insurance and legal cover is a must, I'm with BASC which is around £60 a year, my main motivation was fear of accusations being made by crappy neighbours, bearing in mind your guns will be taken immediately on an accusation being made. If it ever happens the legal cover will no doubt come in handy.

It may be worth you reading the pigeonwatch forums as they cover all aspects of UK shooting.

Anyway, shameless excuse for a picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
I've only recently got into it and its bluddy addictive, not after a shotgun but would like to progress onto a proper rifle in the future. My rifle is kill effective over about 80-90 yards so it packs some punch, upgraded to a 3-9x50AO scope on it which I'm yet waiting to use.
I'm assuming you mean 80 to 90 feet, as a general rule with a standard sub 12 ft lb air rifle shouldn't be shooting at vermin beyond 35 to 50 yards depending on the shooters ability. Standard velocity 22LR round are generally only shot up to 130-150 yards and thay have over 12x the muzzle energy of an air gun. I'm not saying an airgun won't have the ability to kill at that range but 90 yards with 12 ft lb will not give consistant clean kills. At 90 yards your going to have over 2 of drop, even a 5mph wind will take you inches off and you will have under 2ft lb of energy left.

Last edited by grimey121uk; 26-05-13 at 10:29 PM.