View Single Post
Old 27-05-13, 08:36 PM   #10
Fordward

Default Re: Shooting & stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
currently not able to use my rifle as i think I've pushed it over the limit threshold
In which case your committing an offence by owning it, doesn't matter if you shoot it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimey121uk View Post
I'm assuming you mean 80 to 90 feet, as a general rule with a standard sub 12 ft lb air rifle shouldn't be shooting at vermin beyond 35 to 50 yards depending on the shooters ability
Agreed, though I'd have said 35-40 not 35-50. And that means ANY vermin, not just rabbits.

There is no rule of thumb, it depends on the conditions on the day, the kill zone of the quarry you are shooting at, the gun, the pellet, the scope, the time taken for the pellet to cover the distance being enough for the quarry to have moved, whether the shooters having a good day....

The only correct maximum range is the range at which you can be 100% sure of a clean kill. When shooting at animals and birds, if you are wondering whether or not your shot will be successful, then you shouldn't be taking that shot. If that means 25 yards is too far, then it's too far.

Last edited by Fordward; 27-05-13 at 08:41 PM.