View Single Post
Old 09-11-09, 06:23 PM   #7
-Ralph-

Default Re: GM3 26th -27th June 2010 -

It can be a ride-out AND a social gathering surely. Everybody should be allowed to get whatever they want to get out of the weekend. So long as if drink and a party is on your agenda, you don't disturb those who have an early bed on their agenda, with respect for each other we should all be able to enjoy the weekend.

First GM was a great ride-out, but we still got drunk and had a party (much to the annoyance of the camp-site staff ). At 4am on the Sunday morning I was falling off a stool sitting with a group of folk, under the gazebo having downed the best part of a bottle of malt, but because we didn't disturb anybody that was OK.

The first GM ride-out was too long and we had to cut it short at the Green Welly. The second was maybe too short, but was a reaction to the previous year. The people who organised the route must be thinking that they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. The organisers try hard, but it will take a few years to get it just the right length.

On the subject of people being able to have a **** up if they want to, I think a pub near to the campsite where people can go and be rowdy is essential, so long as those people remember where they are when returning to the campsite! The pictures of Stuartyboy's drunken dancing from the first GM were priceless, we want people to be able to do that, but he couldn't have had that much fun and made that much noise at the camp-site.

Also, I know we always try to give a variety of options, but maybe both organisers and attendees need to have a think about the accommodation. If you want to go to bed at 9am and get a peaceful nights sleep, don't share a bunkhouse with 10-20 other folk, go to a B&B or find a quiet spot away from everyone else for your wigwam or tent. If your planning to come and drink and have a good time, make sure you also go somewhere appropriate to do so away from people sleeping. At GM2 I was in one of three wigwams right at the top of the hill and never heard a thing, if going back to a wigwam village the quietest wigwams could be "on special request". I didn't sleep at all well in the bunkhouse at the Peak District weekend, which is why I rigidly stuck to camping when the Wales weekend two weeks later was being arranged. I didn't go in the end, but my plan was to pitch the tent away in a far corner somewhere so I had my own wee bit of space to slope off to when the time came for sleeping (I say slope off because camping with mates has taught me the more you advertise that you want peace to sleep, the more you attract beer fuelled practical jokers who want to let down your air bed!).

I think being based in a town such as Pitlochry or somewhere in the Borders would be advantageous as it gives people lots of accommodation options and lots of pubs and nightclubs if they want it. The SV Ecosse Rideout of the Stuartyboy works because it's based in Aviemore.

I also agree that the Sunday ride-out needs to be a mid-day start, and I for one will be buying a disposable breathalyser and taking it with me (yes, I know they are not 100% accurate, but they are better than guesswork and counting pints vs hours).

That'll be £0.03, my rates are higher than Tigers

Last edited by -Ralph-; 09-11-09 at 06:46 PM.