View Single Post
Old 12-12-07, 03:40 PM   #10
metalmonkey

Default Re: never been to a track day, what you like to have known before your first track experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Firstly, ask yourself why you want to do a trackday. There are a number of reasons why people do:

1) To ride fast in a safer environment, rather than do it on the road.

2) To ride the same piece of tarmac as Rossi, Walker, Haslam etc (believe me, there are lots of people who do it for this reason)

3) To improve your riding

4) To learn more about what your bike is capable of doing

5) To see if you're fast enough to go racing.

Once you've made your mind up, book yourself a trackday in Novice group and go see an instructor right at the start of the day. Explain to him/her what your goals are and ask for advice and help. That's what instructors are there for, to instruct. They won't just teach you to go fast, they'll teach you body positioning, how to hang off safely, lines into and out of corners, braking points, how hard you can brake, how hard you can put the throttle on and a huge number of other things.

If the instructor thinks you're a bit good and fast enough they might move you up to intermediate group. If not, practise in Novices until you are good enough to book yourself into Inters without worrying if you're good enough.

Just my 2p's worth
I want to a track day for all the above reason, I can't wait to do one. I really what to find out what me and the bike can do on track!

Ask for covering the the spedo, I was talking with the guy that races in super stock, he took his bike out for a test, went back said diconnect the speedo, he really didn't want to know how fast he was going!