View Single Post
Old 26-12-17, 10:40 PM   #4498
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

I'm no closer to shooting with either of them! While testing the shutter speeds on the Kiev, which were pretty accurate, the shutter jammed part way through winding on, I need to find out how to unjam it and hope it's okay. I'm away for a couple of days so hopefully that won't hurt. Also Mrs. Rod broke the flange off the take-up spool when she put the back on. She checked them both over when they arrived, even going by videos on Youtube, but looks like she got it a bit wrong.
As for the Contax, the lens lock spring is broken, the RF prisms are as dirty as the numberplate on the back of my truck just now (but at least the RF is otherwise working), it looks like the lens has a little separation spot (though I am told it should make no difference), and the shutter speeds are all over the place. 250+ are basically unregulated, middle ones are slow, 1/10 was actually 0.7 seconds, and 1/1 just hung open for a while.
Poor Mrs Rod is stressing now because she'd put a lot of effort in and thought they were fine. The Kiev would have been (not going to tell her about the spool), and while I knew the Contax would need some work, we need to go back to the seller and see if they'll give some sort of refund, at least down to the cost of a non-working body and lens. She got a good deal anyway so will have to see what we can do, and then figure out whether to give it a go or send it off. This is a proper 10th dan black belt camera to fix though!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote