View Single Post
Old 17-10-19, 07:48 PM   #1
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Employment terms contracts?

I've always been self employed but in recent years have wanted not to be. Especially as I tend to end up doing regular days for a couple of people and it often gets questioned by my accountant. I also tend to only get paid what a PAYE job would be too, which is definietly not right but that 's the way industry I work in works (or doesn't).

Considering trying to persuade one of my employers to take me on PAYE but when I last had the conversation with him he didn't want the hassle of setting up payroll and thought it would be too expensive on his part paying holiday pay / sick pay etc and his small business couldn't afford it.

So I was wondering what normal terms are for employed work as far as sick and holiday pay goes? Another place I work (randomly, so definitely need to be self employed there) doesn't pay employed staff any sick pay but does pay holiday pay. Is that allowed? Is it different for every job (I imagine it is)? Are there any accepted standards?

Also what other costs would my main employer be looking at? I currently pay my own NI contributions and taxes, accountant etc. After all my costs my earnings per hour are a joke really. Would it be a lot more expensive for him to employ me?

Any advice / real world examples appreciated.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 17-10-19 at 07:50 PM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote