Thread: Garages
View Single Post
Old 15-07-20, 04:46 PM   #11
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Garages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I bought one of the Pent Mansard garages from Lidget Compton last year. The Grimsby agent (who lives in Doncaster) was responsible for the concrete base. It was installed when we had that exceptionally wet period last Sept-Oct and I had problems with damp coming under the walls. Lidget and the agent were eager to resolve the problem and an extra fillet was added internally plus a concrete sealant. Since I'm a pessimist I then applied a liquid damp proof membrane (DPM) around the edges and then a 2 part polyurethane paint over the whole floor - decided I didn't like the painted floor and used plastic tiles.

Initially the garage was very damp - (I keep a hygrometer in there) so I bought a dessicant dehumidifier and kept the bike in its "oxygen" tent at a constant 60%rH
After a few months the garage humidity dropped to outside levels. The roof is supported by metal beams but you couldn't hang anything heavy from them. You can't screw into the walls either.

The garage works and looks pretty good but I can't say I'm impressed by the construction - the panels are held together by long bolts but each panel is vertically reinforced at the edges and is finished at a 45° angle - so the bolt that pulls the panels together bends under tension - they should supply 45° wedges so that the bolt is pulled squarely, imho.
Thanks Seeker, I think it's your garage I read about on here and had in mind on this. They're also my fears with a garage - weight and affixing things to the walls. Even block built garages I've ply lined before to allow hanging, if it's thin metal I didn't that would be an option. Is it insulated? I don't think quick temperature changes help with humidity