View Single Post
Old 31-10-19, 09:18 AM   #1
daktulos

Default Curvy power problems

(Before I start, I guess I know what I need to do - check the stator and reg/rec, monitor the voltage, etc. Still ...)

I've noticed that my curvy is taking increasingly longer to start. The starter motor is turning the engine over slower, and seems to get stuck on compression more frequently.

My guess is that the difference has been the cold weather. I've been riding with my (new) hotgrips on and at higher temperatures. I tried riding in today with the headlight off (most of the ride) and the hotgrips off (for the second half) and tried starting the engine again at work. It sounded quicker to me.

So, my best guess is that the battery is slowly draining, rather than being topped up in the current conditions. I don't have any power in the garage and can't use any sort of solar power (it's a council garage with another garage on top and a five minute walk from my house).

Now, I realise that I should check everything, but before I do that I was wondering if the load is simply too high.

First question - does anyone know the power output of the stock curvy stator and the efficiency of the stock reg/rec? I've seen 275W mentioned, but I don't know which model that was for.

Second question - has anyone found a non-mains battery maintainer? I could just charge a car battery plug them together, but I really don't want to be lugging a large battery to the garage once a week.

Thanks!
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote