View Single Post
Old 31-10-19, 11:30 AM   #6
daktulos

Default Re: Curvy power problems

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
The curvy (SV650Y 2000 model) alternator is rated at 300W at 5000 rpm. Oxford heated grips consume about 60W. Is your commute low speed/short distance? Could you put the bike on a battery tender at work? How old is the battery? Is it an AGM or Li?
My commute is roughly 40-55 minutes, half of that on the motorway, so would hope that's enough to keep the battery topped up. The battery is a year or so old, AGM (Motobatt). There's power for EVs at work, but nothing near the motorcycle bays.

Quote:
You need to check the charging system.
Yes, I know. I also need to check the terminals on the Motobatt haven't vibrated loose. I'll hopefully be able to check some of it this weekend.

300W sounds like there's plenty of headroom, but I have no idea how much power the ignition takes, reg/rec efficiency, or losses in the wiring, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff
My M8 has a council Garage for his bikes. I got him sorted by getting a Heavy duty Car battery and him fitting an SAE connector like I have to my Bike battery that I've tie-wrapped discretely under the rear faring of my bike and made Crocodile clip set with the other side of an SAE connector.He then just hooks that up and takes the Car battery away every now and then and charges it up.
I know this makes sense, but I'm trying to avoid it if possible, mostly because I'd end up with two flat batteries!

Quote:
As an Emergency backup I have one of these,
That's my backstop plan - wire in a connector and keep a LiIon starter on standby. If this is only a problem in the winter, it would be acceptable. I will check the electrics first, though.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote