View Single Post
Old 05-06-18, 04:25 PM   #27
ejohnh

Default Re: K1 starts but cuts out after a second or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
A few suggestions:
1) do 1 carb at a time so you have a reference, take pictures (you won't remember where the widget fits)
2) do it in clean area, ideally on a large table so when bits drop out of the carbs and roll, you'll find them.
3) an air line of some type is useful, if not essential
4) carb jets are brass, poking them roughly with a metal object can change their sizes which will introduce more problems. Some of the holes on the smaller jets are the size of smallish needles.
5) soaking the carbs overnight may help - you'll need carb cleaner, obviously.
6) some of the parts are surprisingly fragile (floats for example). Float heights are adjustable by bending (!) a tab, rough handling can also adjust them - you don't want that.
7) take your time and enjoy the learning experience, your next bike will probably be fuel injected so you'll be able to learn a whole new set of skills

(worst case - there are usually sets of carbs on ebay!)
I stripped engines and carbs back when I was young. My first bike was a 350 Matchless trials oil leaker in 1958. I had that apart in the flat where I lived with my family in London. My mum used to go bananas at me. Can't blame her, looking back Those were the days of the Norton Dominator 88. Tiger 110, Ariel square 4 and many others .

THis SV is the one I bought when I went back into biking in 2006. I couldn't believe how much bikes had improved since I got rid of my AJS CSR sport twin when my first child was born in 1962. Since I bought the SV I have had a couple of others , inc a Yam FZ1, but I hung onto the SV because it was simple the most reliable. She took me all over Ireland, France and Spain over the years. It will be my last proper bike. I am thinking of getting a Yam XMAS 300 for running around. My bike touring days are probably done though. Sad thoughts eh?

Last edited by ejohnh; 05-06-18 at 04:26 PM.