View Single Post
Old 22-10-18, 03:49 PM   #8
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike expenditure app - Roadtrip

A few years back, I did a test in my company car at the time (a 2011 Volvo V60 D3). I ran 10 consecutive tankfuls of diesel Shell V-Power (i.e. about 6000 miles over 6 months using no other fuel than V-Power), and compared with the 10 previous tankfuls of Shell's ordinary Fuelsave (easy for me to do, as Shell is my nearest filling station and the same price as the local supermarkets).

I got a brim-to-brim average of 46.29 on V-Power compared with 45.12 on Fuelsave.

Or, to express it in percentages, I got a 2.6% improvement in economy for spending the extra 5.7% cost of V-Power. I reckon that the 10 tanks / 6000 miles on each fuel was sufficient to reduce the influence of variables like ambient temperatures, type of journey etc.

There was no detectable difference in performance at all. I concluded that while V-Power made a small difference to economy, it wasn't worth paying the extra for, compared with the ordinary, cheaper Shell diesel. But that really only applies to that car and engine.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote