Thread: Cricket
View Single Post
Old 15-07-19, 09:38 PM   #16
Othen

Default Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Weird thing about the draw in main innings is that England got 4 fluke runs when the batsmen were running between stumps and NZ fielder threw the ball which hit one of their bats and bounced off an managed to reach boundary for 4 runs - I thought you could only score off a ball that was bowled by a bowler - every day is a school day !

... surely you must have seen over-throws previously? They happen in many, if not most matches (in fact I think I remember there was one run during NZ’s innings), usually just the odd one or two runs where the fielding side don’t bother to back up a throw to the bowler’s end. The unusual thing was that the overthrow happened to bounce off Ben Stokes’ bat as he was stretching for the crease - at that point the batsman just counts as part of the field (as long as he doesn’t deliberately get in the way of the fielding side’s business of course).

It is just a law of the game, I’ve never seen the ball hit a bat from a long throw like that, but it is not uncommon for it to hit the batsman - after all he is heading for the same place the fielding side is throwing to. I suppose that makes it a rare occurrence, but not weird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Othen; 16-07-19 at 05:27 AM.