View Single Post
Old 22-10-18, 11:18 AM   #6475
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I'm awaiting the results of my MRI after discovering my high PSA and my thoughts turned to making a Will. My children are American, I have a son and a daughter but my daughter and I have been estranged for over 10 years after she sent me a vitriolic email demanding I stay out of her life.

I have discovered that it is practically impossible to exclude her from my Will. It can be written in but since I have US assets she could contest it in their courts and, most likely, win (and the US court would also recognise the UK assets). So much for honouring your last request on Earth! What a messed up system.

If I try and leave my house to my son now then it, too, would be taken into account as would paying off his student loans and it would be deducted from his final inheritance when the court rebalanced the distribution. You can't win.

The solicitor has said I have to leave her a "non derisory" amount but has, so far, declined to specify an amount. What I had intended to leave her was a laminated copy of the hostile email she sent me (and I have given that to the solicitor already).
My mum changed her will when my father died, and excluded one of my sisters from the state.

Similar circumstances, nasty email exchanges, and she didn't attend my dads funeral, despite the fact she loved my dad a lot.

It was the final straw for my mum, as this sister was given much more by my parents, than the rest of us.

As the executor of my mum's will I had to deal with giving my sister the news, as my mum hadn't told her of this change.

That was my mum's decision, like it or not
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote