View Single Post
Old 22-10-08, 10:14 AM   #1
bobm

Default fuse keeps blowing

Hi All,

I recently replaced battery and regulator/rectifier on my Suzuki SV650s.
Before putting the battery I charged it to 100% overnight.
The RR (electrix) I got is not the proper one for this bike but in Gorey Bikes they told me all RR are similar and he sold me the one I have now. The connection was similar as the original except for the two output wires which I soldered on the original connector.

Anyway when I ran the engine (revs 5K) I checked the output voltage to be 14-15V. Seemed ok but a bit on the high side.
Then 15A fuse of the Meter circuit blew. I checked for any obvious shorts but couldn't find any. I put in a 20A fuse but it blew also after I revved the engine.
I thought maybe the RR lets spikes through if the battery is fully charged.
As I was running out of fuses and needed the bike the next morning I disconnected the RR and put in my last fuse.
With a disconnected RR it also blew the fuse!
Anyway I call up Gorey Bikes and he said stop off at the shop on your way passing and we check it out for you. I did that and they told me everything was alright (charged 20 to replace fuses). After that the fuse didn't blow for a few days riding. But just yesterday after the end of my 60mile commute the 'Meter' fuse blew again.
What can I do to diagnose the problem? Today I noticed that when battery is 100% at end of ride the bike lights become much brighter when revving the engine. The ODO meter goes funny 88888 a few seconds when revving.

Thanks for any help,
Bob