View Single Post
Old 21-10-11, 07:07 PM   #1
bydna

Default Lloyd Cooper Watford - Clumsy or bad luck?

Hi, this is my first post to the forum - apologies for the moan but I came across this forum after a google search about speedo rotors and thought I'd join up and ask for your opinion.

I recently took my 04 SV to Lloyd Cooper for one of their platinum services, a set of tyres and a MoT. They asked me to come in a week early so when I turn up I request to put off the MoT I was having as it outside the renewal window. I pay (they did the MoT anyway!), pick it up and set off and the chain clanks away. I get off and check and see it's slack, but no big problem - I'll just sort it at home. Set off again and the football traffic is in full swing so filter a little and keep my eyes open. After I clear some traffic I notice that the speedo isn't reading. Too late to double back with the traffic as it is, so I press on home. I spot a woman about to go through a red on her side and green on mine so go to give her a toot - the horn isn't working!
Anyway, get home and check out the speedo cable - seems ok. Check out the horn by feeling around the lower after-market fairing and can feel the horn connectors at the 7 o'clock position and not connected.

Rather than take the fairing off and sort the horn out myself I decided to leave it for Lloyd Cooper as I intended to go back and ask about the speedo. When I go back Tuesday I'm told that some part of the speedo has cracked and that they'll need a new part. They said that they'll do the fitting if I pay for the part.

The part's not turned up yet, since Tuesday gone, but I thought I'd google around and see what turns up. From some old posts here and elsewhere it looks as though a clumsiness may be the reason for the bust speedo:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=158240
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ssues-Easy-fix.

Maybe it was old, but together with everything else it just looks a little poor, I get the impression of a lack of care.

To be fair, they have been fine in the past, though I alternate between there and Ford & Ellis in Chesham. And, the part itself is around £20, I see so it's not too bad cost-wise (though it's yet to turn up at the garage). And, the bike has done over 50k...

Am I expecting too much, have I been just unlucky or was Lloyd Cooper a little cack-handed? The weird thing is that they gave me a clean MoT - with no horn.