View Single Post
Old 14-08-11, 03:47 PM   #1
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default My AR Experience (part 1)

I awake to the alarm at 3.30am, it’s warm if rather drizzly outside, first port of call is a coffee and a fag, making my flask up at the same time.

After the half hour or so to get my body working, I wash dress and take the prepared bags out to the bike, to my surprise I end up with more capacity than stuff to carry so the tankbag goes back in, all strapped on and secure ready for the off.

A bacon butty fulfils the current need for food, quick check of my blood sugars and I’m ready, now the dilemma, what to wear, textiles make more sense, being both comfortable and waterproof, they really are the sensible choice, and yet my leathers are an old friend and have served me well, always giving me a safer feel, so I opt for those and my one-piece rainsuit over the top as it’s still a light drizzle, out to the bike satnav in hand, plug in and sit on, first destination is Didcot, I ignore the directions and just use the countdown mileage bit, as it’s about a quarter to 5 on a Thursday morning London is like a video game with the traffic option turned off, so I head for Vauxhall and up passed Victoria to clear the smoke, hoping the weather will clear on the way out of the city.

On the road the little S4 comes alive, both of us know the day a head and it gives no cause for worry at all, zipping threw the empty city streets in no time, out to the A4 and then off onto the back roads of the countryside, the luggage is unnoticeable and the Storm ultra’s show no concern for the wet roads, just about as good as it gets; if it wasn’t for this dam drizzly rain, oh well can’t have everything.

I reach Dicot having had a very traffic free ride and hit the satnav for the next destination, Evesham is 48 miles according to the planned route, I know it’ll be more than that as once again I ignore the machine and head off in the direction of most interest ( read smallest/ twisty-est roads), about 10 minutes down the road I realise I’m actually getting a bit wet, not the rain getting threw, but the heat has me sweating inside my rain suit, so I take it off and decide to see how the leather deals with the very light rain.

Passing Evesham I go onto some A roads and look for a café, proper breakfast time is here, for both me and the bike, a decent greasy spoon is found near a petrol station and both of us are sated, the wonders of a full tank and a full fry-up are not only food for bike and body, but an armour almost for whatever you have to face next…

I’m disappointed the weather hasn’t changed, to be honest I wouldn't mind if it rained properly of just buggered of, this drizzle is annoying, but overall I’m still having fun.

Next on the list is Kington and then onto the A44 and onto Rhayader and down to the Elan valley, I take the mountain road over towards the coast coming out on the A4120 at Devils bridge, the sun even shows it’s face for a brief time, lovely road that.

Make my way into Aberystwyth and find another brew, it’s a grey day in wales, but then it’s wales, I have a bike and another tank of juice, I’m happy…

I put some progressive riding in and a lightning tour of Snowdonia to end up in Betws-y-Coed, I could have spent all day there, but time is marching on, another fill for the bike, a fag for me, and we’re off again, over to skirt Chester and I’m heading for Leek then onto Matlock, cut back up for Bakewell and a special stop.

As I was on my way to a once a year bash a degree of indulgence was allowed, to that end a stop at a special shop was require (http://www.weedram.co.uk), leaving there just about £50 lighter but with a bottle of luxury for the taste buds , again I was a happy man.

Over Sheffield way to do the length of the A57 to Glossop, Rochdale and Blackburn were passed and I ended up on the up coast road, before cutting off on the A590/A5092/A595, wiggled up to Ulpha and across the passes, Sedbergh was next with a cut down to Dent and across to the viaduct then onto the A65 to pull into the site.

Long old trip, the leathers are heavy but the whole days drizzle hasn’t made it threw them, 12 hours after waking it’s been a long hard day but a dam good one.

And yet I’m not finished, Having agreed to take some photos of the rideout I’d previously using google earth and street view, sorted out some locations and routes to get there, but not wanting to leave it to chance I head out again after pitching the tent.

Some wonderfully tricky roads take me to the locations staying within the AR route, the sun has finally come out to join me, the edges of tiredness are there, but not enough to spoil the ride, I get back to site with the miles just tripping over to 624, that’s me bushed for the day.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 15-08-11 at 11:22 PM.
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote