View Single Post
Old 24-01-19, 09:58 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default After 40 plus years, I've done it

I now own a Kawasaki H1F

I'm having it refurbished:
new crank seals/bearings, rebore to first oversize, new small ends, new seals, gaskets. New SS rims/spokes, powder coated frame, new switches, seat. Chrome to be...well, rechromed. Bodywork to be resprayed to two tone green in "chainsaw" pattern (same pattern as above but green). The H1F didn't come in green but the prior year H1E did, I'm not concerned with originality; it was the green one I rode years ago and have lusted after ever since.

The H1F has a rubber mounted engine since the triples buzz at 5k rpm (rubber mounting started with the H1E) and it was the last model before Kawasaki dropped the power output and made the KH500. The H1F is less powerful than the H1A/B though, but a bit more civilised. Handling is still appalling - it still has two steering dampers! Originally, they were supposed to be 60bhp, probably a bit less in reality but the power used to come in with a bang at 6k rpm which made them immensely entertaining to ride.

The triples have a habit of boiling their battery so I'm getting a new reg/rec from the US made specifically for the H1.

Won't be ready till May

In some ways this bike isn't "me", I love the SV because it's so economical and is Euro 4 compliant, the H1F is an environmentalist's nightmare. My friend with an H1A used to get 22mpg when he rode it hard. Maybe it's my evil twin coming to the surface.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote