View Single Post
Old 15-03-14, 02:39 AM   #65
RandyO

Default Re: Who has the highest mileage on their bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvNewbie View Post
Hats off to you mate, if you'd have told me that down the pub I'd have thought you'd had one too many!

Do you normally stick with a car tyre on the back during summer or do you change for a more conventional one?

Firstly, I'm impressed that you gave it a go, and even more impressed that it works!
that was my original plan, to go back to a conventional bike tire during the other 3 seasons

As I said, when I first put it on, it was an experiment, I wasn't even sure it would fit between the swingarm or hold air pinched on to a 4 inch wide wheel when it was intended for a 5½" - 7½' wheel, the reason for a 205/50 is it replicates very close to the height of the stock 150/70 (only 2.5mm shorter)

I had my local dealer install it for me, when they first put it on, it still leaked a bit around the bead (not due to tire, but condition of wheel) we checked to make sure it fit between the swingarm and cleared the chain of my V-strom, barely by less than 1/8", then broke the bead down to put some bead seal on then reinflated, no leaks, at that time, my mechanic told me, if you want to swap in spring, get another wheel, we're not gonna take this off in spring and remount again next winter, infact it's likely I will have to destroy the tire getting it off.

So, I ran that tire for 3 whole years all 4 seasons, just this fall, I scored a spare wheel for reasonable cost on E-gay, so next spring, that's what I will do, spare wheel I got came with a nearly new Tourance

the one very bad thing about a car tire, all your suspension, bearings steering has to be up to snuff and tight, and deficiencies ad amplified, headshake can quickly turn into a tank slapper (like going thru wake of a large truck as your passing it) with the studded knobby in front I really had to limit speeds to less than 70, with regular street tire like a tourance, I can go as fast as the bike will go and have stability , V-strom 1000's are restricted in 5th and 6th gear, I can actually attain my top speed (nearly 140mph) in 4th, the only unrestricted gear