View Single Post
Old 21-07-11, 11:43 AM   #1
dave_c24

Default Lesson learned - lucky really

Hi guys

Just thought id post on here about what happed with the sv yesterday.

It all started with a few drips of oil from the clutch cover every now and then. Took it off to check it out and saw the oring was a little flat hence why its not sealing. Off down the local motorparts store to find a tempory fix. Whilst brousing i found a tube of silicone instant gasket. It said its designed to replace the origional gasket a pictures on the packet lead me to think my application would work! So a ran a good bead around the oring grove and fitted it, started it up warmed it up no leaks all good.

20miles into the 30 mile ride home the backend twitched in a corner, it was bumpy so didnt think to much of it, about 3min from home next to no back brake and a very squirmy back end and alot of smell of burning oil. When i stopped i was horrified to find the cover was barely sealing at all. Belly pan, clutch cover, my boot, swingarm, wheel/tyre, brake disk the lot covered it oil.

A puddle quickly formed under it, i was gutted. It was first ride with new rear wheel coversion, cbr600 brake and new pads (now screwed) Back end was spotless till then.

Im just so lucky it didnt spit me off. Now ive got to wait for the seal to come in.

Question is whats best thing to clean the oil off the tyre and brake disc with. Ill have to get anouther set of new pads but im concered about loss of grip on the tyre?