View Single Post
Old 04-02-21, 03:54 PM   #2484
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: The All New Megathread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
My PSA was routinely checked in the US and back in 2011 it was 2.9. I then got distracted with my Dad's health and didn't give it a thought until he passed away. It was when I asked for a routine PSA test over 2 years ago that we discovered it had jumped to 9 and we've been monitoring it ever since. Initially 6 monthly but after the 9.6 reading, they shortened the interval to 4 months (which is now) and it yielded the 10.1.

No other issues (other than my questionable sanity). I'm a natural worrier so this has pushed the worry level off the charts. On the other hand, it's not like I can do anything about it, anyway.

This article talks about a S. Korean approach to diagnosis of prostate cancer:
https://phys.org/news/2021-01-cancer...elligence.html

It mentions the poor accuracy of the current PSA test which can be as low as 30%.
Agree, I honestly wouldn't let it worry you. The fact you're keeping an eye on it keeps you ahead of probably 95% of blokes. It's also very treatable (especially when caught early) - so I really wouldn't worry. A member of my family found out quite late they got it and made a full recovery in 2016 and are still going.
There's more to occupy your mind with - like brushing up on your limmerick skills.