Thread: Foreign jollies
View Single Post
Old 09-02-12, 02:02 AM   #1
ogden
Mega Poster

Default Foreign jollies

There was some talk on Tuesday evening of both trips abroad, and weekends camping, at which I mentioned a couple of things I already have in the calendar over the summer.

First up, as I've mentioned in years gone by, is the classic bike races at Chimay in Belgium. Basic idea is a bunch of blokes old enough to know better (or not) belt ancient bikes (ranging from scrap metal with girder forks to the odd KR1-S) round a closed public road circuit like their lives do or don't depend on it, depending on your outlook. It runs from Friday (practice and beer) through Saturday (races and beer) to Sunday (races and more beer) and entry costs about 25 quid including camping. Beer is usually the likes of Maes and the three local brews, as you'd expect, and they lay on a decent band each night. We usually do a tunnel crossing on the Thursday or Friday night, then back on Sunday evening or Monday afternoon, depending on days booked off. A good time is had by all and we go back every year.

After that comes the Belgian Classic TT at Gedinne, also in Belgium. Much like Chimay, but on a smaller scale. It's roughly the same deal, but runs only on Saturday and Sunday, with practice in the morning and races in the afternoon. Entry and camping for the weekend is a tenner. We did Gedinne for the first time last year and if anything it's better than Chimay. Same kind of thing but waaaay more friendly.

Once you've factored in the tunnel crossing (60 quid return), fuel (another 80 quid or so) and entry (25 quid tops) you're looking at a weekend away, with a 600 mile round trip on the continent, for not a huge amount of money. In both cases you get to ride the circuit, what with them being on public roads, drink loads, talk utter crap and say you were there. Both highly recommended.

I'll bump this again nearer the time, but if anyone's thinking of doing a road trip, camping or a cheap weekend at a foreign race this year, they'd be daft to miss either of these.

Chimay is the 20th to 22nd of July, Gedinne is the 24th to 26th of August. Hope to see you lot there!
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote