View Single Post
Old 16-05-14, 11:06 PM   #6
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Default Re: OMO: Cycle gearing, help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipper View Post
Perhaps try to get used to spinning faster, it takes a bit of practice and while to get used to but is the way forward if you want to get quicker.
Clipless pedals and a good shoes help make this better.

With modern compact drive chainsets, swapping to a larger outer ring can lead to issues when changing up from the middle ring to the outer ring. Shimano used to allow a twelve tooth difference, but we always used to be able to bodge something (she says while running an old Suntour XC Pro MD chainset with eight speed Shimano XT cassette and 9 speed deraileurs, all worked by seven speed thumb shifters). However with compact drive the front deraileur has a smaller throw and shorter cage.

A 42 front to 11 tooth rear sprocket should give you a fairly good gear. If you are running disk brakes you can swap the rims for 700c road bike rims and narrow tyres which improves speed a little.

Spinning is your answer though or finding a Touring bike set up that you can put on the bike, which will give you 28-38-50 tooth chainset and deraileur. A high cadence though is far better for your knees than a big chainring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote