View Single Post
Old 09-12-18, 11:47 AM   #13
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: the rights of the citizen versus society

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
I agree, not a lot else the police can do. They didn't deploy this tactic until all the more orthodox methods had been proven to be ineffective. Some would argue that's far too much restraint.

It's a pyramid of crime. The mopeds are stolen, often with the threat or actual use of physical violence. The riders aren't licenced or insured - minor point here. Then it's daylight robbery backed up by more violence. Some proper nasty reports of hammers being used when people resist.

No blame attributed to the victims here but let's just say it doesn't really help that so many city dwellers wander around with their phone out and headphones on. I'll defend their right to do so in safety but the moped thieves would have a harder time if the phone was in a pocket and the potential victim was alert and aware of their surroundings.
I would argue that walking around with expensive phones on show while wearing earphones would be described by police or insurance companies as partly creating the problem by not taking due care and attention. Women joggers who run around with earphones in are pretty much unaware of their surrounding as well, blocking off one of their most useful senses. People have duty to look after themselves, they cannot rely on police to save their sorry a5535 because they are listening to iTunes at full volume... and worst of all they think it is their right...

And when people have their eyes / attention on the phone screen and their ears blocked up, words fail me.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 09-12-18 at 11:49 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote