View Single Post
Old 19-06-18, 10:39 PM   #6
aje14700

Default Re: 2001 SV650 Engine Diagnostic Help

Biker Biggles:
The engine oil was full when I first started having issues. It's empty now with those videos as I drained it to take off either cover.

SV650Rules:
I'm an idiot and forgot that part. I just tried it with it up and it now properly drops into gear.

I think I remember seeing another ball bearing on the floor not in the oil pan, and I did accidentally split the clutch worm gear, I'll take it back off and check if it's missing any ball bearings. Here's the one I found though.
Thanks Bibio for pointing out how many should be there.

squirrel_hunter:
I'll double check those, but both should be good. Would a slightly loose sparkplug cause that kind of racket?

Assuming the ball bearing did in-fact come from the clutch worm gear, and noting that it does drop into 1st, other thoughts?

Is there any downside to tightening the cam chain a little bit without taking the cylinder head cover off to "properly" check play (can't tell with my service manual (Clymer) if the tensioner is automatic, or if there is an adjustment bolt)? From what I remember, both cam chains are pretty tight, but not sure if it's within spec range.

I just found this video, and it sounds quite similar to how mine sounds (new clip), just mine is more intermittent. I have some time after work tomorrow, so I can do my checking on my list of things.

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.