View Single Post
Old 29-11-17, 12:07 AM   #1
machulnyy

Default Curvy Cold Starting Needs Running Start

Hello all!

You guys helped me out several times from just reading some threads...but now, after exhausting myself reading through a bunch of posts, the time has come to post my own!

I have a ‘03 curvy (I know, right?!) with around 10k miles on it. Got it in July and loving every minute. However now been really struggling to keep the love alive. It’s refusing to start!!

As soon as the temp dropped it became more difficult to start in the mornings. One day it wouldn’t start (wouldn’t attempt to turn over but would click and the starting procedure would stop) until I did a running/push start. This continued for a few weeks. Sometimes all it needed was to hold the starter button for a prolonged time to get it going, other times a simple roll-forward off the side stand and it would start. Other times a few laps running around car park with it.

Was sure it was battery. Put brand new one in (and gave my curvy a good wash while I was at it). Worked like a charm!...until the next morning. refused to start (this time attempted to turn over but wouldn’t). After a running start it did, but needed the choke to be almost fully on to stay running otherwise would stall. Got riding but it stalled at traffic light when I lowered choke and then at a junction and would not start after that. I turned it around and took a painfully long time to start up again. 10-15 seconds of attempted turnover with full choke and handful of throttle eventually got it slowly ticking over.

Got home, changed spark plugs. Rode to and from work just fine. Was sure this was it! Then today it went back to not even attempting to turn over, just clicking and stopping. A couple laps around car park later and it slowly got ticking over and I rode off to work. (All this choke use got me filling up 30 miles prematurely this evening!)

Anyway...now I’m lost with what to do next. First it seemed to be battery, but the weirdness the next day after installing new one suggests otherwise. Not spark plugs either...Doubt it’s a charging issue as is unlikely to drain a brand new battery while standing still overnight.

so what could cause it to refuse to even attempt to turn over again, at least until running/pushing it or holding down the starter button for a while?? Please help!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by machulnyy; 10-05-18 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Hydrolocked?