Thread: P&O Ferries
View Single Post
Old 18-03-22, 10:09 PM   #9
Ruffy

Default Re: P&O Ferries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
The issue of EU employment rights doesnt apply either because the seamen are employed under international seafarers rules which give few rights.
OK useful to know. So it seems to boil down to the ethics of the company leadership. I'm not sure how to counter that except through trying to hit them where it hurts, on the bottom line. Doesn't matter what the cost base is, no sales = no profits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Maybe the UK government should nationalise P&O Ferries and the two UK ports owned by Dubai on the grounds of national infrastructure resilience and security.
Doesn't need to be in national ownership to protect the national interest. Appropriate use of licences and regulation backed up by legislation could be used to provide adequate governance and protection when services are provided by other party privatised owner/operators. How complex this is depends on whether there's a real market or if it's just pseudo-competition.

Last edited by Ruffy; 18-03-22 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Added a bit more
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote