View Single Post
Old 11-05-23, 09:39 PM   #6
Ruffy

Default Re: Drain fuel from SV650S (K5)

i'd be tempted to have a chat with the storage facility operators about the details if you haven't done so already. "Drain all fluids" might not be as extreme as it sounds.

It's a while since I've stored a bike like that, but when I did in the past my experience was much more straightforward:
  • The big concern was fire risk, and really only from the petrol. (I manually siphoned with a length of tube as best I could.)
  • Generally oil was allowed to be left in and I've never had to drain brake fluid or coolant.
I've even shipped a bike to/from Australia (though around 6 years ago now) and the only requirement for that was to drain fuel from the tank and disconnect the battery.

Seeker's advice is good. As he mentions, for draining fuel the alternative to siphoning is to disconnect the hose off the tank outlet and connect another longer pipe to drain from there into a suitable container - on the K5 you can even turn the ignition on to power up the fuel pump to flow it into a suitable container. (You'll see/hear when it's empty.) It's a little fiddly due to constrained space but straightforward enough once you've lifted the tank to get at connections.

And, finally, if they really do mean every fluid , then I'd probably recommend looking for a more accomodating storage provider tbh!
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote