View Single Post
Old 20-11-17, 09:49 PM   #12
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650 AL7 problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
1) Once it starts, it takes a few leisurely seconds to reach idle but once idle is achieved then it runs perfectly and revs cleanly.

2) I'm usually in a petrol station - everything stinks of fuel

3) I had a curvy years ago that ran on one cylinder - it's like that. Assuming that is the case the second cylinder comes on line smoothly and seemlessly not abruptly.

It starts quickly from cold, idles smoothly but has never liked been ridden immediately, I usually start it and then put on jacket, helmet etc, by that time it runs fine. It had the throttle bodies replaced because of its "cold blooded" nature early on in its life (1500 miles). If it's been left for more than a few minutes after being ridden it starts promptly. The problem occurs when it's been ridden and shut off for a short time and then restarted.

I normally ride 25 - 30 miles at a time (no short commutes), maybe I'll try a few short journeys and see if it happens more often.

Bibio - while it's under warranty I'll stick to their recommendations, after that, we'll see. It does seem to be a ridiculously short life for a plug.
I think potentially its a fuel supply issue. Try opening the filler cap next time it does this. Give it 30 seconds or so, close it then try to start the bike. Also check the over flow & breather pipe too to make sure they're not blocked or kinked.
I know of other bikes that have odd foibles like this and they create a vacuum within the tank & fuel lines making it hard to start the bike after stopping (after a brief ride or whilst the engine is hot).

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote