View Single Post
Old 24-01-17, 01:47 PM   #79
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: The all new, slap bang up to date 2017 photo a day

Wow Col - that's a lot of dead and dying stock in that shot. Most of the 37's (and other early diesels) were fitted with steam heating boilers for the elderly carriages of their day or were freight-only sub-classes with no heating units at all. So, when newer electrically heated carriages came on line a lot of the early locos were relegated to freight or scrapped. Some were converted, like the two in passenger service I saw at the weekend which has given them a reprieve. Know what you mean about the sound Mav and remember it well from when these were seen a lot more frequently. What I did find fascinating is putting the loco numbers into Flikr to see how many images of them came up. One of them has been tagged hundreds of times and can be seen in at least four different liveries over the years in Scotland, Wales, pulling specials and charters, engineering and maintenance trains as well as nuclear waste flasks before ending up in Norfolk.

My neighbour has a similar shrub in his front garden Mav and if he ever pruned it properly his would look that nice too. Damned if I can remember what it is though...