View Single Post
Old 19-08-14, 07:00 PM   #19
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV buying advice?

There's plenty to look out for on an SV, hardly the most rock solid bike ever made - they're budget and show it massively:

faulty electrical connector beneath the tank - tends to burn out
****e ignition lock - half the time the key won't turn back off the lock without serious effort
brakes need rebuilding every year, doesn't matter what anyone tells you, they're nothing short of awful unless in near new condition
the rear shock will definitely need replacing at 15k, they go like sponge in no time, front forks are hardly mind blowing either so factor in new oil and springs if you want to go round corners with the utmost confidence
front forks pit as does the engine casing, if you're into bikes looking pretty...good luck keeping it that way with nothing short of 200 tins of ACF50 per square inch of the bike

Don't get me wrong, they're decent as an entry bike in my opinion, but arguably way better bikes are available for the same if not slightly more money. All in my opinion of course before people start sobbing into their keyboards.