Thread: Which sat nav?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-13, 10:13 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Which sat nav?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Mark, I'm speaking from experience about mine, had a tomtom go710, really good unit, not a cheap one but the vibrations eventually stopped it charging.

I spent £70 plus on ram mounts alone, tomtom is waterproof whereas a car unit has to be in a case.

The cases reflect the sun, can be difficult to remove quickly and dont work very good with gloves on.

Quite a few people I know would agree with the above too.
one of the reasons I use the Navman is the bottom power socket, not had any problem with it in more miles than most will do, the touch screen is 4.3" and given the articulation gives a perfect view of the screen, if it was a problem (it's not) it's easy enough to make a peak for it ?

Waterproof, not had a single issue and it's been out in everything from thunderstorms to ice & snow, being electronic I guess I'd have noticed by now if it leaked

as to mounts, the cheap additional mount I got was from Hongkong, OK took about 3 weeks to arrive, but works fine, I agree you go with pucker RAM Mount stuff it can be expensive, but why bother when the cheaper one has held up so well ?

the mounts I use stay on the bike and the unit case clips onto them, allowing me to detach in seconds and reattach as quickly.

I've got no problem with spending money on the right thing, but once I find a function at a price I'm happy with; I just go and use it and turn what budget I have left into petrol money, satnav is useful for £50 to me, it's not for a couple of hundred.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote