View Single Post
Old 26-12-08, 11:47 AM   #34
Lozzo

Default Re: Tyre pressure debate

That's interesting. When we raced the Triumph 675 at Silverstone we had to run control tyres which were Michelin Pilot Race. We had no experience of them prior to going out in qualifying (He'd run Metzeler Racetechs in practice) and had no idea what pressures to run. I went and had a word with the Michelin guys on site and they gave me cold pressures, so we worked with those. Over the course of the weekend Danny neve complained about tyre pressures, desite their being quite a difference in ambient temperatures for all four sessins on the bike (2 qualifying, 2 races)

The only time I was given a hot pressure to work with was when we tried some new Dunlops to use on our old RGV250 based 'thing'. We faffed about trying to get them right but never succeeded as the hot pressure was never consistent. In desperation I searched out a Dunlop tyre tech and he told me not to bother with hot pressures but to check them cold and run the front at 31psi and the rear at some ridiculously low pressure like 22psi to start as their rear carcass had extremely flexible sidewalls that generated a lot of heat. From then on Danny never complained about tyres, and the times I rode it on trackdays it handled wonderfully