View Single Post
Old 21-03-18, 01:55 PM   #15
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vehicle Excise Duty Petition (Road Tax)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post

Having crashed on my bicycle because of a pothole I do care about the state of the roads, as some of these potholes are killers, I was lucky, my helmet save me from a head injury, but it's the only one I've not walked or cycled home from.
No disrespect intended mate but how do you not see a pothole big enough to have you off? I was only slightly tongue in cheek with my earlier post, I do wonder if we're going just a little bit to far with this trend to absolve drivers and riders of all responsibility for their own safety. We all know the roads are traditionally worse at this time of year, we also all know that potholes are not being fixed as quickly as we like. It follows that we should be driving and riding with that in mind and acting accordingly.

It may be that my view is a little distorted having grown up and learnt to drive in South America in a time and location where tarmac on the road was a real bonus, or it may be the thirty years I subsequently spent listening to all the excuses people offer as to why it wasn't their fault they crashed, but I'm definitely not as sympathetic to these issues as some would like.

Rather than jumping up and down and firing off e-mails every time you hit a pothole why don't we just tell ourselves what a muppet we were for not paying attention and resolve to do better next time. It's generally a whole lot more rewarding an approach! I particularly enjoy seeing the hole early and then deviating at the very last moment so the plonker tailgating me gets it full on......
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote