View Single Post
Old 25-11-18, 09:18 AM   #3
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: Music that has followed you.

I guess the musician that runs consistently through my life is Damon Albarn. He was a local with his band Seymour when I first saw them play at the live music nights me and a few mates used to organise at the local YMCA.

Then they became Blur, and while I was mostly into grunge and rock I always liked them, saw them play quite a few times over the years, and felt he really knew how to capture a mood.

I always liked Tank Girl so when he got together with Jamie Hewlett to create Gorillaz and did some really interesting collaborations I found I was enjoying year as much as Blur.

His solo album really hit home, he sang about growing up in Essex and then being based in Notting Hill, drug dabbling and finding solace in the countryside which pretty much mirrors my own life. I managed to get to bus live show at the Royal Albert Hall in 2014 at a time when I was very unwell, it was one of the best gigs I've been too.

The Good The Bad and The Queen albums are his love letters to Britain, and I'm seeing them live next week.

I love the way he collaborates with everyone from Snoop Dog to Shaun Ryder and Mavis Staples via Africa Express and a sweet song about a baby elephant. He did a Chinese opera, a middle England musical about Dr Dee and a modern musical based on Alice in Wonderland.

So if I ever did Desert Island Discs I could quite easily do 8 tracks just from his different projects.

Watch the world spinning, gently out of time...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk