View Single Post
Old 15-10-07, 06:51 AM   #11
nigelporter

Default Re: Euro Accommodation ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
Hi Nigel

We'd probably do Portsmouth to Caen and ride down...............we come for the roads, not sitting for hours on a ferry

What is the weather like there in early September? We aren't beach sitters, but with your proximity to Andorra and the fabulous roads in that part of the world there is certainly a pull to travel back out your way again.
Hi weather here mid september is usually mid to high 20's so a bit more comfortable if you are the type who always rides in leathers. The only downside is although the tourists go home at the end of august , camping car man comes out of the woodwork. However they drive so slowly that they only really upset the car drivers who cant overtake as easily as we can on the twisty roads.
As other visitors will attest we produce a number of routes for day trips out from here. We normally discuss what people envisage they want to do over dinner and then the following morning we produce maps and descriptions of which roads to use and what to see and where to eat at midday. We also help with planning the routes to and from here because we have had so much feedback from our guests as to what are the best routes to use.
FYI we know of a very nice b+b near montlucon which is mid distance between the channel and us giving 2 days of about 350 miles to get here. and also some lovely roads from there to here via the millau bridge and gorges of the tarn, the following exert was sent to me from another member of this forum after they visited this year when they got home.
"Nigel - when we mentioned the Millau trip you mentioned that there
were some good roads after or before the bridge (depending on which
way you travelled) I think you understated somewhat, we rode through
the Gorges du Tarne, up to Millau and then went back through the Parc
National de Cervenné and it was amazing!!

Thank you so much for your hospitality, you really made us feel as if
we had known you for ages! We are already planning to come back to
Carcasonne and the Gorges du Tarne as we know that we missed out on
so much so hopefully we'll see you again!

Kindest regards
Sam & James "

I hope this helps.

Last edited by nigelporter; 15-10-07 at 07:06 AM.