View Single Post
Old 31-12-19, 04:06 PM   #1
aesmith

Default Corrosion/Water Proofing Connectors

Hi,
My bike (650S L2 Pointy) was completely disabled by corrosion of the fuel pump relay connector. When I say corrosion, that's an understatement as one of the terminals in the connector was basically rotted away to a mess of blue paste and a couple of bits of copper.

The underlying problem is that the rear under tray isn't weatherproof so spray from the rear wheel gets under the seat and builds up in the spaces behind the battery as well as everywhere else under there. It's all in bits at the moment and I'm trying to work out how to seal the undertray and the snowplough etc.

However with the rear bodywork off it's also an ideal time to inspect and protect various wiring connectors that are normally inaccessible. So I'm looking for thoughts as to the best method. Previously I'd have just given a quick squirt of ACF50 into the female side, and reassembled. However up till now I've only been thinking of internal corrosion affecting the actual connecting surfaces. My experience with the relay connector suggests I need to protect the whole thing. I was considering melting wax into the connectors from the wiring side, virtually potting the whole thing.

Any comments welcome, and also any suggestions on waterproofing the rear wheel arch as well.

Thanks, Tony S
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote