View Single Post
Old 09-05-23, 10:55 PM   #15
Ruffy

Default Re: Seriously worrying....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
Very similar to Keanu Reeves film, Minority Report. Arrested for crimes they might commit in the future.
Sorry to be a pedant but actually it was a Tom Cruise film. And in the story they're arresting people for crimes they will commit if left unchecked.

It's been a while since I read the short story it's based on (The Minority Report by Philip K D!ck) but I recall the thread of the story is subtly different to the film - probably the filmmakers made adjustments for greater popular dramatic effect. I recommend the read though, it's very thought provoking.

IMHO, there are already plenty of places where 'pre-crime' is already being baked into our laws and we're trying to get ahead of the unwanted action itself: Carrying certain knives, expressing unpopular or controversial opinions to name a couple. There's a growing trend to allege intent as if it's the same as actually committing the crime.

So far there still seems to be some common sense left in our enforcement and justice system to see the nuances in reality, but I agree there is a risk of an ever constraining ruleset, or a draconian government, that will be less open to discretion and debate. And that is something to keep our eye on carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
Will we get done for speeding when we put a leg over the bike or open the car door? Bit of a stretch but… a fair example?
Reasonable comparison IMHO. But to be a real agent-provocateur, how many of us can genuinely say we never sped, ever, during many of our journeys, even if it wasn't our conscious intent before setting off? So if, in all probability, we will end up speeding, is the ticket deserved anyway?
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote