View Single Post
Old 23-08-17, 08:36 PM   #23
suzukijax

Default Re: Low beam not working.

Well NTECUK, I ( Chris, Jax's tame bike tinkerer) did as you suggested and managed to find the problem. As usual it was the last terminal i got to =0/

The problem was a bad connection where the left switchgear plugs into the loom. What an absolute PItA that was to access! Tank off, airbox off, throttle bodies off, unhook radiator?!? REALLY? and remove the plastic trim above/behind the rad. There may have been some 'colourful' language around this time....
It still took a while to actually move the connectors where i could get enough purchase on them to disconnect them (both switchgear blocks and the ignition connector block are mounted on the same plate, and the wires wrapped around the cross tube so even when you have managed to unbolt the plate it is impossible to pull them very far up, or down)

...there may have been some more colourful language at this time also.

Once the connectors were unplugged i unwound the wires and that gave me enough slack to be able to test the left switchgear multipin connector. As i was moving the block trying to get the multimeter on it the lights started winking at me! Eureka!!!! Cleaning the pins with a terminal file and spraying them with ACF-50 made little difference so i ended up cutting the white low beam wire and crimping a new pair of spade terminals on.

Success! Thank you all for taking the time to post on this thread, i was rather lost and appreciate the help given, SV650rules explanation of 'the golden rule of electricity' re; resistance and current draw was a massive help. Electricity is all smoke and mirrors to me

right, the bike's back together, time for