View Single Post
Old 05-11-14, 01:26 PM   #1
JediGoat

Default Parking contravention 62...confused!

A bit of a long post, so TLDR version - Is this parking ticket valid?

I live in the London Borough of Brent and I've just received a £110 parking ticket for pavement parking near my house. I realise the fact that I've parked like that for a few years and checked with local wardens and local police that is it ok...is all irrelevant.

The ticket is for contravention 62 "Parked with one or more wheels on or over a footpath or any part of a road other than a carriageway". Where I'm confused (and why I've checked with local wardens previously) is that I'm parked on a section of road that permits parking with two wheels off the carriageway, albeit I'm not in a marked bay.

I realise this might sound confusing, so I'll try to explain. The whole street has pavement parking permitted (signs at either end of the street shows where is starts and ends). There are residents bay all along the street which straddle the pavement. The bays stop and restart in certain places (i.e. where there are double yellow lines in the road, or where there are obstructions on the pavement e.g. trees).

Where I park (because of a handy lamppost to chain to) there is a stretch of double yellows, but I'm not breaching that regulation as I'm not parked in the road. My bike is on the edge of the pavement, 'in line' with the other bays (i.e. next to the curb), although I doubt that matters. There are no motorbike bays in the local streets as Brent doesn't do many (bikes do not pay for parking permits and can park in any bay...but there's nowhere to chain my bike up in a bay!).

What I can't find is any definite information that states that the pavement parking rule only applies to marked bays within the section of road covered by the pavement parking signs. I far as I can work out at the moment, I'm parking on the pavement in an area that permits pavement parking, but I'm not parking in a permit holders bay (but then I don't have to have a permit).

If I'm in the wrong then I'll pay, but I'm rather ****ed off that I checked with so many traffic wardens when the parking restrictions came in and they all said I was allowed to park there.

Any advice appreciated (and yes, I can go out and take photos to explain it more...but not right now as I'm on nights this week so not dressed yet!)

Jo
JediGoat is offline   Reply With Quote