View Single Post
Old 09-12-18, 01:10 PM   #4
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Spring weight for bike weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
with .85 front springs you are looking at a rider weight of 10-12st (12st being a tad too soft)

I'm spot on in the middle of that. I used the Racetech online form and it gave me a recommendation of 8.3n/mm or as near as I could get. This is for general road use.

Quote:
...for road use i would recommand that the .... front set to 20-25mm.
set bike sag and leave it.
check rider sag.

So me setting front static sag for 10mm is too much preload for the bike alone?

Quote:
there is a whole host of things that are spouted on the net about setting rider sag only.. these people are muppets.

Yep, noted.. I've seen some of the most confusing clips on Youtube explaining it all wrong. Some by people who are obviously good at setting things up but have no talent for conveying ideas or teaching in a simple coherent way. Others that simply focus on setting rider sag and totally ignore bike sag!

Quote:
when the "bike" sag settings are done then you need to put a cable tie round the front stanchion as an indicator. after about a week or so longer if you can keep reducing/raising the front preload till you have about 5-7mm of travel left on the front forks.

thats pretty much the basics of setting the sag.
I've got the cable tie in place already. No one has ever mentioned this aspect of adjustment over time. Good to know, cheers.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote