View Single Post
Old 15-08-11, 09:50 AM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: My AR Experience (part 1)

Sunday (part 4)

The benefits of decent single malt come shining through, despite my indulgence a clear head is mine on waking, again the flask comes into play as caffeine and nicotine course threw my system and kick it into life once more, the knee is stiff, I know I’m going to have to give it some down time soon, but not just yet, I physically abuse myself with the effort to get to the shower, plastering a smile on for those passing on my way, stopping on the way back for my bap & brew, the weather at least is brighter than yesterday.

Getting back to the tent, the field is in motion, people packing stuff up, some for the early start, some taking there time, as is always the case, I realise with some regret I haven’t had time to talk and catchup with everyone I know and for some will have to wait another year, gradually the field empties as I say “good bye” to fellow Orgers departing, Matt asks me to try his bike to see what the suspension is doing and I say fine, but he’s far from ready, so I go to chat with a few others, although I’ve no rush to leave as I’m staying a further night, Pete is going to take me down to the manor café as it’s fairly new and not somewhere I’ve been before.

Matt is finally ready but then so is Pete, I have to forgo a ride with the lovely Rachel as time now no longer allows it, I say my good byes and we both set off for some petrol in Settle.

After filling Pete takes the lead as he knows the way, I’ve ridden with him a few times, but never directly behind, we keep a very reasonable pace, a competent sure footed rider, making good use of visibility threw the hazards we negotiate, you get the feeling he’s not going to do anything rash, it’s a big bike he has there but he moves it well.

We get to the café, a nice place, decent brew, unfortunately time doesn’t allow for food, but useful to know there’s a bike shop there with MOT bay the works, never know when that sort of thing could come in handy, I mentally add it to the list of places to drop in on next time I’m in this neck of the woods, couple of pictures on the little camera and we set off back, we agreed I’d take the lead on the way back as we’d do the shortest route and true to my word we did, however I was a little naughty in so much as this encompassed one of the roads I’d done on the Saturday, not the smooth sweeping tarmac of the main road, admittedly it was the other direction from my previous use and about half the speed of the day before, but still a fun pace was adopted once we hit the single track stuff, in all fairness Pete wasn’t going to keep up on a bike that big and heavy, not on those roads, but he did a good job none the less and I only waited at junction a minute or two at most, I hope he enjoyed it none the less, Pete had got a txt from Lou of a pub in Giggleswick they were all going to so that was our destination to, on getting there I didn’t know the pub name, but passed one with bikes parked around the back, so pulled over and Pete check the name, yep that’d be the one, so we swung round and parked up, they’d all eaten so I only had a brew and watch as they all set off for home, Ollie, the YC Van, Maria on her SV, looking might fine, Gemma in the car (that girl needs to turn up in leathers you know… ), and although obviously dog tired and full of cold ( yes she’d been medicating it away all weekend) the lovely dizzy one on her 1000cc monster, dutifully chaperoned by Pete. And then it was all quiet; just me, the efforts of the weekend all came back to me and I was shattered, now no one was around; my natural pace took over and everything slowed down, I got on the bike and visited the supermarket for some food, went back to site the only tent in a field that morning swarming with them and I slept…….

I woke up when it was dark, must have been asleep for 8 hours or more, but I needed it, cooked some food and made a brew and went back to bed, didn't stir again until the morning….
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 16-08-11 at 04:18 AM.
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote