View Single Post
Old 15-08-11, 06:58 PM   #10
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: My AR Experience (part 1)

Tuesday (part 6)

Morning comes to the dizzy/peg household a relaxed affair, brew and fried egg butty consumed all set for the day, little Oli is a bundle of fun and lethal with his walker.

I’m moving slowly the past few days catching me up now, bikes are shifted around so Pete can get his out for work and off he goes, I stick the battery back in mine and all appears well.

I get all my bags together and load the bikeup, only to realise getting through the gate will now be tight (Pete had put it in yesterday when unloaded), still at the cost of a couple of badges on the sides I get it out with Lou’s help and park it around the front, a quick cuddle and a bye to Dylan and I’m off, I can’t bring myself to just hit the motorway and get home in a few hours, so I head on the same route I’d taken a fortnight before only this time it wouldn’t be in the dark, off out of Halifax and towards Huddersfield, wiggling down to the Greenfield road to come out at Glossop, along the snake pass to lady bower and turn down getting to Bakewell sometime later, I revisit the “wee dram” and treat myself to another bottle of Aberlour, and head off to Matlock for lunch, minus the Bakewell stop it’s taken me half an hour less in daylight than it did previously in the dark, hmmm not bad. I take the A6 and A610 over to the M1, then a 110 miles of motorway (the first of the weekend) are dispatched in short order. And I branch off for local roads, strange as it may seem, tired as I am, there’s nothing like London traffic to stir the soul, I love this place, it’s no better or worse than the roads of the dales or peaks, but different and far more familier to me, I get into traffic mode and adopt my style through in, finally the roads south of the water lead me to my door, despite the news my house isn’t on fire or anything….

I park up, and with one final effort I unload the bike, it’s given me no bother all day so was just deeply discharged and nothing more, so from 4.45am Thursday to 4.30pm on the Tuesday a total of 1034.1 miles, not bad, I sit down on my sofa and Beth brings me food and a brew, now I can relax the brace comes off, I’m not moving for a fair while…….
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote