View Single Post
Old 19-08-10, 04:58 AM   #23
no_akira

Default Re: Speed Cameras - switch off date vs prosecution chase end date ?

One thing that this thread has shown is that speed cameras are an emotive issue that upsets people even among the motorcycle crowd who you'd think would despise cameras.

The Limehouse docklands tunnel is I think the best example of the lunacy of the speed cameras policy in this country. Why is a tunnel where no pedestrians have access, limited to 30 mph, there are 3 cameras, start, middle (which is the one that seems to flash at 30.5 mph) and the end in a 1.1 mile tunnel.

2 Weeks ago I spent 2 days riding around Paris where the average speed even through their tunnels, never drops below 60mph. Even the 1.6K tunnel that goes under the business district, which left me gagging a bit as it was so unexpectedly long. At one point I was at the end of a 10 bike chain filtering through peak rush hour traffic again at 60mph. OK this probably isn't a good example as all it shows really is that Parisian riders are crazy. There were still a few cameras in sections where for safety reasons you need to limit your speed, mainly less shallow bends in the road.

Somehow during the last 13 years we have turned into an apathetic nanny state.