View Single Post
Old 08-03-19, 02:58 PM   #1
daktulos

Default Dropping your bike and garage woes

Between Christmas and New Year, there was a nice dry day where I had nothing on, so went out for a ride. I got half way from the garage back towards my house when I slowed for an oncoming car, my front wheel locked, went sideways and I came off. I had no idea why, but it can be quite a slippery road when it hasn't rained for a while, plus it was a cold day.

Eleven weeks later, and I've finally managed to get everything fixed and been out for a short (9 mile) ride. I was so cautious - I can't believe how much I've lost my faith in the wheel's ability to grip the road. I tried braking hard occasionally to build confidence, but I'm sure it felt like it was catching or slipping when braking hard.

So, I managed to get back safely, and opened up the garage - and I realised that the floor of the garage is very black and very wet. It's a council garage, with another garage above it, so there's nothing I can do about the stream of water when it rains, but it did look very greasy.

So, now I'm thinking that maybe I have an oily spot on my tyre from where it's been sitting. Does that sound likely?

Clearly I'm going to have to scrub the floor, but should I be scrubbing the tyres, too? Any advice for what to use?

Also, I can't stop the flow of water from the garage above (or wherever). I could try diverting it, but is there a simple solution? Some sort of mat, perhaps?

Thank you!
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote