Large Member
Mega Poster

Default Re: Honda Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
I've had a Blackbird for a few months.
Yeah, about 18 months, I would know, it was mine you thief

Mine is a 1998 Carb version

Had mine for nearly seven years now, it does exactly what I want it to do, when I want it to do it. I'm tall like you too, 5'8" so that shouldn't be a problem. It's a heavy old beast (and Squirrell couldn't get it on / off the centre stand with those matchsticks he has dangling down from his waist )

I love it to bits, my biggest problem with it is that it's thirsty, I typically get about 35mpg, I once got 40mpg on a long run around the Lakes two's up.

It's good one up, two up, lazy ride, fast ride, you just need a bit more planning when approaching a set of twisties, it's not a nimble bike.

I have test ridden a recent Busa and can honestly say that given a choice, I prefer my 16 year old BlackBird to a 2 year old Busa by a MILLION Miles.

Get one test ridden and check out: http://www.bikersoracle.com/blackbird/forum/ for what the issues on them are

Rear wheel can be a pain in the **** to get in and out, the caliper is attached to the inside of slider bracket that the axle goes through, which means you cannot remove the caliper before you remove the wheel, STOOPID design

The brakes are amazing (or at least mine used to be, not quite as linked as they used to be), alot of people de-link them and say "I prefer to be able to feel ######" or "It's not as good because personally I like #####" which in 95% of cases means, "I can't afford to replace all the brake lines in the system so I de linked instead but the racers say this so I'll say it too"

There are 10 or 11 lines in the braking system and three master cylinders, but I am not delinking them ever, I like the linked system I just need to save for the full stainless hose set and three master cylinder rebuilt kits

Charging system can be a pain but many bikes suffer from this, big Hondas especially usually just the reg/reg needs swapping but I did mine years ago and all good so far, same with Vipers VTR

Cam Chain Tensioner, goes after a couple of years (yes, even the redesigned ones), costs £40 for a new one and takes 15 mins to swap, or you can buy a manual one instead

Suspension, plenty of options for buying new rear shocks, but I went with a rebuilt one and new shorter springs with a longer spacer and it comepltely transformed the bike

You can buy lowered pegs for the front and rear if you want but you'll probably just ground them out, mine are standard and I can grind them and the belly pan but I don't like to cos I'm a big gurl and hate that feeling

The best (and for me ONLY) place to go for BlackBird specific parts is here:
http://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/

John (Jaws) is an absolute font of knowledge and always happy to help out and make sure you get what you need

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote